Do you have any stale bread at home? If it’s not moldy, don’t throw it away, but turn it into something delicious like this prune pudding! It’s easy to make and you can adapt the recipe depending on what you have on hand at home.
Today, we made it this way:
- Day old bread about 300 g
- Melted butter 80 g
- Dry raisins or prunes 50 g
- sugar 60 g (slightly sweet)
- 4 eggs
- 500 ml to 1L of milk (depending how dry the bread is)
- 1 vanilla pod
- 1 tbs rhum
How to make it
- Cut the bread into pieces and soak it in milk for 20-30 minutes. Squeeze out the bread and save the milk for later. Then mix the bread.
- Soak the prunes in water.
- Add the beaten eggs, sugar, vanilla and rum to the milk and mix with a whisk. You can also add the juice of an orange, or apple juice. In this case, you can reduce the sugar.
- Melt the butter and pour it on the bread, then add the fruit and finally add the mixture with the beaten eggs.
- Put the mixture into a buttered oven dish and bake at 180°C for about 45 minutes.
Allow it to cool. Serve with vanilla ice cream, if you like. Enjoy!
More recipes to upcycle stale bread coming soon! Follow us on Instagram @daybydayplants_blog!