Curry is a typical Indian spice blend and also a unique dish full of flavors and nutrients.
Today we would like to share with you the recipe of the Southeast Asian version of curry, which is well known from Thailand to Cambodia. Its main ingredients? Coconut milk, eggplant, raw and cooked vegetables, chicken or fish … and lots of fresh herbs and spices.
The combination of herbs and spices, including fresh or dried chilies, can change from place to place and according to your taste. In this recipe, we used a ready-made curry paste from Cambodia.
For a fresher flavor, you can grow your own herbs. We used mint from our garden. I recommend that you prepare all the ingredients in advance, so that you are ready to add them as you go.
Ingredients for 8 p.
- 1 chicken (or fish)
- 2-3 sweet potatoes
- sunflower oil/ olive oil
- 1 can of coconut milk (about 500 mL)
- Cambodian curry paste
- 2 stalks of lemongrass
- 2 onions
- some corn shoots
- 1 kg green beans
- 3 medium eggplants
- a few lime leaves
- bamboo shoots
- galanga rhizome
- 1 bunch of mint
- Batavia lettuce
- 1 large cucumber
- 2 limes
- 1 packet of rice vermicelli
- Nuoc mam
In my family, we love to add some Tofu skin, which is mostly used in Chinese cuisine. If you want to try it, don’t forget to soak it for a few minutes before adding it to the broth, near the end of cooking..
Preparation of the sweet potato
First of all, wash and peel the sweet potatoes, cut them into cubes, brush them with olive oil and cook them in the oven at about 200°C for 20-30 minutes. Lower the temperature if you see that the potatoes are browning.
Preparation of the broth
Cut the chicken into pieces (you can also make a vegetarian version, if you prefer.
- Cut onions lengthwise
- Pour the sunflower oil into a pot and sauté the chopped onions, chicken pieces and curry paste for 5 minutes
- Pour in the coconut milk, the lemongrass stalk, prepared by beating it with a knife and tying a knot to release its aroma, and the kaffir lime leaves
- Add 1 liter of water and bring to a boil, then simmer over low heat
- Season with about 5 spoons of nuoc-mam (variable according to your taste)
- In another pot, boil the green beans and eggplant cut into small pieces, then drain
- Add the bamboo shoots, green beans and eggplant to the coconut milk broth and simmer for half an hour
Cook the pasta
- Cook the rice vermicelli in boiling water according to the cooking time indicated on the package (2-3 minutes)
- Drain the vermicelli and put them under cold water to stop cooking
- Clean the herbs (coriander, mint, bean sprouts, lettuce) and the cucumber
How to make a typical curry bowl
- Put the herbs and chopped salad leaves in a bowl
- Add the vermicelli
- Add the oven-roasted sweet potato
- Pour in the broth and season with fresh lime
- Add bird’s eye chili, if you like
Have you ever tried curry? which ingredients are your favorite? Tell us in our instagram feed @daybydayplants_blog