The hot summer days are finally here and with them comes the delicious taste of summer vegetables. A must of the summer here in France is definitely ratatouille, a plant-based dish that can’t be missed on the summer table. It is typical of the south of France, in particular of Provence.
There are multiple versions of Ratatouille, all with the same main ingredients, including tomatoes, zucchini, eggplant, garlic, onions, bell peppers, and some fresh herbs such as bay leaves, thyme, and marjoram. The way of cooking is also variable, from the pot over the fire to the oven.
Today we’re sharing the recipe we make here that everyone always adores. Enjoy!
Ingredients for ratatouille
Tomatoes, zucchini, eggplant, garlic, onions, bell peppers, herbs, bay leaves, thyme, and basil. Salt, pepper. Extra virgin olive oil.
How to make ratatouille
1. Wash and cut the eggplant into small pieces. Do not remove the skin from the eggplant.
2. Peel the skin of the onion and cut it into slices.
3. Cut the tomatoes. You can remove the skin if you wish.
4. Wash the zucchini and cut it into small pieces.
5. Prepare the bell pepper and cut it into cubes.
6. Peel and cut the garlic into small pieces.
7. Put the olive oil and onion in a pan. Gradually add all the ingredients except the tomatoes and herbs.
8. When the vegetables are tender, add the tomatoes, minced garlic, thyme and bay leaves. Cover and cook for half an hour. You can also cook in a suitable pan in the oven. In this case, cook at 180°C for about 35 minutes.
Zero waste tips:
If you prepare the ratatouille over the fire, a liquid forms. Drain the vegetables and save this liquid that is rich in flavor and vitamins. The drained vegetables can be used to make a quiche, the liquid to make a risotto.
Follow us on Instagram @daybydayplants_blog to learn more 😉